Sensei Mike Tope teaches a style of Shotokan Karate – Kyokushin- through ACTIVSTARS Karate. Kyokushin is rooted in a philosophy of self-improvement, discipline and training. For the latest information, please visit the News section.
Mike Tope’s classes meet in:
- Independence, MO at Independence Athletic Gym (Mondays 6:00 – 9:30 PM). Independence Athletics Gym is located on the back of the ActivStars office at 13665 E 42nd Ter S, Ste a, Independence, MO 64055. (Please park in the back of the building and come in the east door)
- South Kansas City, MO at Grace Baptist Church (Carver Baptist Bible Institute) (Thursdays 6:00 – 9:30 PM). Grace Baptist Church is located at 8524 Blue Ridge Blvd, Kansas City, MO 64138. Fall session one will meet outside on the North side of the building.
- First United Methodist Church of Blue Springs (6:00 to 8:30 PM.)
First UMC of Blue Springs is located on the West side of SW Woods Chapel Rd., Just South of the Walnut & Woods Chapel Roundabout and Just North of Hwy 40 about three blocks. The address is 301 SW Woods Chapel Rd. Blue Springs, MO. 64015. Our classes will meet in the gym at First United Methodist Church of Blue Springs.
Summer Semester Classes meet Tuesdays. The Summer Semester will begin on 6/8/21.
Classes meet weekly and provide focused instruction from:
- Avoiding ‘stranger danger’
- Anti-Bullying school strategies
- Skills and technique from beginning through advanced Shotokan karate – Kaiyou Shin Kai.
- Judo and jiu-jitsu self defense techniques
- Weapons katas based off of wu-shu (kung fu) martial arts
Sensei Mike Tope is a Black Belt in Shindo-Ryu with over 20 years experience in Martial Arts. Mike Tope also recently retired from the Missouri public school system and can provide real world help, instruction and coaching on dealing with bullies, school trouble and staying safe in school.
Please find your relevant information from the top links or the right side of the page.
You may also find a very old video of Sensei Mike Tope in tournament with his brother. They are competing in Matsubyashi Ryu Shorin-Ryu, a form of to Shorin-Ryu. Both Shorin-Ryu and Kyokushin have similar lineage and techniques.
Belt Rank Curriculum for Sensei Mike Tope’s Karate – approved by
Karate. To view your student’s curriculum, click on the appropriate belt rank listed below. Note: Students should purchase the Karate Workbook. It is a reference for the techniques they will learn. It is essentially their karate bible.
See the class secretary for details.